Monday, January 5, 2009

Blessings to the Midwives of Passing



Tonight I stand in Awe. Usually we use the term Mid-wife for those helping bring Life IN TO the world. Yet is not our passing also that of being birthed? Birthed Home to the Divine?

photo-T.Giffin


To the Midwives at all Hospices
Tonight I have a desire to send Blessings
To the Workers at Gosnell Hospice House in Scarborough, ME

I am so Grateful that you can be with my friend.
For I am unable to sit with him everyday.
Knowing you are there; that he is not Alone.

Watching him open his eyes wide to take you in,
Clearly taking in, who held his hand, his head.
The patience you showed to him, his family and me- a friend
NO family connection, you treat me with respect
You treat my friend with RESPECT, as he labours.

You let him smell your arm,
his sense of smell heightened as he prepares to move on.
He knows us by our smells, the subtle shift of air we bring with us.
I'm not sure he can see us as well any more.
Or comprehend all that we are asking or telling him.

Yes, he labours, not sure he's done all that he wants.
Labours to understand the change in his body.
The feel of his own skin.
Is it night or morning?
It is hard to tell- he's not been outside in a while

Sleeping he labours.
He labours to birth himself to the Divine
He labours it is a difficult time for him.
Living in a body he no longer knows.

Blessings to you,
Your Patience, your Kindness, your Respect.
I know it's your job, but it is a choice you have made
To sit with the dieing.


Thank you for being with my friend.
Thank you for this House, that allows his passing with Dignity.

I don't know how much longer he has,
Only he and the Divine know for sure,
How much longer you will see me
And I you.

I want you to know I am Grateful for your Presence.
Thank you for the choice you have made to be a
Mid-wife to the Dieing.
Bright Blessings to you.












No comments:

Post a Comment